Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Insomniac's American Dream

Our great nation’s birthday is right around the corner and nothing says America like warm apple pie, athletes on steroids, and coupe utility vehicles with a Spanish name. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate America’s independence from Great Britain (and subsequent dependence on antidepressants, not that there’s any positive correlation between the two) than eating a slice of pie with Marion Jones in the back of an El Camino as spherical breaks of colored stars shoot across the night sky. Well, first I have to engage in the traditional methods of self-avoidance and buy an El Camino. Then I’ll get a pie. And if Marion Jones won’t return my letters and phone calls, I guess I’ll have to settle for Rafael Palmiero. As for the fireworks, I can do without them; they are not a significant part of this equation. Seriously, when was the last time you watched a fireworks display and went Holy shit! Did you see that? Telephones are mobile, mail is electronic, televisions are flat, and performing oral sex has become a societal protocol amongst the female population. A lot has changed over the years. Everything is bigger, better, and more convenient. Yet, despite all the great advancements throughout the past two decades, fireworks have stayed the same with very few exceptions. I challenge anyone to debate with me on this topic. I suppose one can argue that those ones that break apart and crackle, wiggling around like sperm under a microscope for a brief moment, weren‘t commonplace twenty years ago. Big deal. When I was seven, I figured that one day I’d go to the local high school football field and watch giant American flags and dead Soviets illuminating the black night. Instead, it’s the same old shit serving as a backdrop to Lee Greenwood’s “I’m Proud to be an American.” Our forefathers have assumed the fetal position in their graves.

4 comments:

Dr. Strangelove said...

I couln't agree more. The traditional fireworks bullshit should be replaced by setting homeless people ablaze. It would be far more entertaining and this would help clean up the streets. In addition, the carbon impact on the environment wold be far less significant than the traditional fare.

Whats more patriotic than making this country and planet a better place to live????

Keep Rocking the Posts on this blog. Reading your work helps pass the time in a world of a post-Saved By the Bell Mario Lopez...

overworked said...

I agree that fireworks haven't changed much in several decades, but I'm sure they've gotten "bigger & better." What's the history of fireworks? When was the first fireworks display? I've always enjoyed them, but do like the proposal of Dr. Strangelove. Can we set some illegal immigrants ablaze, too? We could have a bonfire!

Tracey said...

The reason fireworks have stayed the same is b/c no one is willing to invest the money...basically, the reason why many things in America have remained stagnant, while other less important things have advanced is due to money. Important things like education, employment, public transportation have been hanging by a thread, while flat-screen TV's, outsourcing jobs and SUV's have become accepted. Our country needs Abbey Hoffman real bad, but he's dead and we're pussies today. Therefore, our Independence Day celebrations represent our stagnancy in change. I could care less about the fireworks, too. And the God forsaken heat! but, Disney World invests their money in some pretty cool fireworks, I must say!

Dr. Strangelove said...

Overworked,

If you are looking for the who, what, when, where and how of fireworks, I suggest you try the google machine to find something called "wikipeida." I hear its all the rage...

However, if you are serious about burning the flesh of the not-so-innocent, meet me at the stairwell of the clocktower before sundown tomorrow. Don't bring your sister this time.

Cordially,

Dr. Strangelove