Monday, September 22, 2008

Bodhidharma Eye Gouge

Footage of yours truly receiving a hand-poked daruma tattoo from Japanese tebori master, Horitoshi. Respect the culture.



I would like to express my gratitude to the DJ for enhancing the spiritual experience by playing some Tracy Chapman. (sarcasm)

Unfortunately, the soundtrack was not as fulfilling as the actual experience itself. Listening to "Rock and Roll All Nite" whilst watching an Asian gentleman stabbing my leg with a sharp stick probably isn't the ideal composition, but be appreciative that I willfully omitted the video footage on which the solo work of Bret Michaels overtakes the rhythmical sound of needles puncturing and leaving my skin. A good time was had by all.

The capillary action of opening the skin is different with tebori than with an electric tattoo machine and it actually tends to do less damage to the tissue. The hand method is not common in the U.S.; there are maybe a handful of artists that can do it. It is a 400+ year old method and a very serious practice in Japan. It is a great, long process in which the artist serves as a master's apprentice for many years. It's not like in America where you can buy the equipment from a magazine and go scar people up. The artist must have exceptionally great skill, technique, and control. Getting a tattoo from a tebori master like Horitoshi is considered an honor.

6 comments:

Julie said...

does the daruma method hurt as bad as it looks like it does? it looks about 10x more painful than the electric needle.
anyway, congrats on the new ink.... can't wait to see it in person!

Jack Timko said...

I thought it hurt less than the machine. It was my first lower extremity tattoo, so I don't know if it was the hand-poke method or just that spot on the back of the calf, but it hurt pretty bad at times over the next day or two. I limped out of bed in the morning and hobbled to the bathroom where I proceeded to urinate while standing on my left leg. Click the links and find out what a daruma is and what the tebori method is all about. Get into it. Fuck yeah.

CenterStageDJs said...

Being the musical expert that I am. I have a stupid question. Where the hell were you that the music was Tracey Chapman and some Asian dude is issuing tatoos?...eesh!

CenterStageDJs said...

Being the musical expert that I am. I have one question. where the hell were you that the soundtrack was Tracey Chapman and there is a Asian dude issuing tattoos by hand.

Julie said...

yeah, I realized after I hit send on the commment that daruma is the tattoo and tebori is the method.... clearly, I'm no expert.

hope it's healing nicely, I'm looking forward to seeing it in person!

DJ Tanner said...

I like the new tatoo, dude.

I am looking to get the Looney Tunes' "TAZ" on my calf next week. I still can't decide about that or Bugs Bunny wearing baggy cross colors-like mid-90's urban wear... WISH ME LUCK