Wednesday, June 18, 2008

State of the Union Address

I want to travel to the nucleus of the epidemic, wherever that may be, and run roughshod in the belly of the beast, hopefully discovering a cure in the process.
The American Dream, at its inception, was about freedom, not just comfort. Many of the early colonists were indentured servants in the Old World, fleeing serfdom and expanding west against royal decrees to live as self-employed farmers and craftsmen, independent from a master or a boss. They worked long and hard and their standards of living were poor, but it was all theirs. They answered to no one. That America of generations past is now dying, hooked up to a respirator with its vital signs dropping, and the medical staff in charge is preoccupied with other interests.
The middle-class is not free; we are dependent on a corporate entity paying us a salary. We are dependent on interoffice politics and upward-mobile ghouls who would piss down our collective throats if it would result in a promotion and help them obtain new status symbols. We hold jobs that are dependent on factors beyond our control. We do not own our work. We are under the direction of others. We fucking resent the time we work under the supervision of someone else, some asshole, so we spend our free time at play like children – self-absorbed, watching TV and consuming, not giving a hot fuck about anything outside of the tiny spheres of life that belong to us.
The vermin have turned us into miserable, hollow vessels for human life powered by our own self-loathing. We are indentured servants and our souls are dog shit.

1 comment:

Tracey said...

There is something quite wrong...such as noone ever taking responsibility. Daily, I encounter people who are content with someone else taking the responsibility. Corporations have no individual-to name, no name to identify and therefore, noone can be held accountable. "It" is an entity that has no validity or source...a sourceless monster has become the puller of our puppet strings. This pull has no name, no face, only its after-effects. The after-effects being what you have also described in this post. The point of clarity for me, daily, is identifying this 'pull' that occurs and then the motive behind the person or a company, becomes clear to me, even though it may not be clear to them or it. Being aware is half the battle; the other half is not being influenced by this thing that has no name:

Here's a simple example---Today, at Starbucks, a barista tried to sell me the Rewards card. I told her I wasn't interested. She still tried by robotically re-iterating the rewards of this pseudo-rewarding card. Then, I said--I already have the rewards card, but it's actually a credit card. She said, well, it's not "really" a credit card, it's more than 'just' a credit card... it gives back rewards, such as wi-fi...soy and breve are free--ther's no extra charge for those. I realized that the college student (summer job forced upon her by her parents) who wasn't even looking at me while speaking, had no idea what she was talking about. I looked at her and said, it took until I spent $1000.00 to get $2.00 rewarded to me for a drink here. All of a sudden a woman beside me in line said, "Are you serious? So, it's a credit card? They don't ever say that!" I felt like I was in a coffee competitor's commercial. The baristard looked confused. Then, she stopped, and I could tell she finally realized that the rewards card she so bubbly tried to sell me, was hogwash. I also added that the interest was higher than my other credit cards just to top off this 'reality buzz' b/c it's true. The next few people in line didn't have to be overloaded with anymore garbage about the rewards card b/c of this. I'm sure that shortly after I left, it started all over again. But, for a brief moment, I saw the baristard understand that it's bullshit and that it's good to not "give in" to the bullshit. It's a fucking credit card, people.